Grandma’s Sugar Cookies
I have fond memories of going to my Grandparent’s farm. My Grandma made this special sugar cookie often. They are light and chewy. At Christmas time I use Red & Green Sugar to sprinkle on top. They work for any occasion.
5 Cups of Flour
1 Cup of Sugar
1 Cup of Powdered Sugar
2 Sticks of Butter (softened)
Tip: Against some opinions, if I haven’t taken the butter out of the refrigerator the night before baking I soften it by unwrapping the sticks of butter and lay the wrapper on top then microwave on a plate for 20 seconds
1 Cup of Vegetable Oil
2 Large Eggs
2 Teaspoons of Vanilla
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
1 Teaspoon of Soda
- Cream together sugars & butter & oil
- Add eggs & vanilla and beat until fluffy
- Add 2 Cups of the flour, along with salt, cream of tartar, soda and mix well
- Continue to add the last 3 cups of flour
- Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or overnight
- If the dough has been refrigerated overnight I take it out an hour before I want to make the cookies.
- Roll into balls any size you prefer. Place on a cookie sheet that is sprayed with Olive Oil. Press each to flatten with the bottom of a glass that is dipped in sugar so does not stick. I use the bottom of a mug that has a design.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes