Sour Cream Coffee Cake
When traveling in the ’80’s I asked Sister Wick, a pastor’s wife, for her wonderful Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe. I still have the recipe in her hand writing, but I made changes.
2 Cups of Flour
2 Sticks of Butter (softened)
1 1/2 Cups of Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 Cup of Sour Cream
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
Topping: 1 Cup of Light Brown Sugar
2 TBLS of Cinnamon
- Cream together butter and sugar
- Add eggs and beat until fluffy
- Blend in sour cream and vanilla
- Add 1 cup of flour, along with baking powder and salt; mix well
- Add the last cup of flour and mix thoroughly
- Spoon 1/2 of the batter in the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch pan or baking dish, then spread with a spatula
- In a small bowl use a fork to mix together the light brown sugar and cinnamon till fine
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture over the 1/2 batter that has been spread
- The next step is tricky. I have found it helps to spoon several spoon-fulls of batter scattered around. Then use your spatula to blend together.
- The last step before baking is to spread the remainder of brown sugar and cinnamon on top
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean
- This coffee cake is rich so you can cut smaller squares for serving. That is why I varied the number of servings above.