Baked Beef Brisket
7 pounds Choice Beef Brisket (servings are based on 1/2 lb uncooked/person) If you use a smaller brisket then bake 1.15 hrs/lb.
RUB: 4 TBLS Brown Sugar
2 TBLS Course Salt
1 TBLS Paprika
1 TBLS Course Pepper
2 tsps Onion Powder
1/2 tsps Cayenne Pepper
Extra Large Foil
- Place Brisket on a large piece of parchment paper to catch the excess rub for easy clean up
- Use 1/2 of the Rub mixture and press it into one side of the Brisket; then turn it over and use the other half to do the same on the other side
- Tear off 2 large enough pieces of foil and cross them to be able to fold up around the meat in the middle and ends to seal. Place in a pan in case juices leak.
- Refrigerate the meat with the rub for 12 hours. Plan a day before baking.
- On the day of baking remove the meat in foil from the refrigerator an hour before. Turn oven to 300 degrees.
- Tear 2 sheets of foil the same size as before and cross them. Place the meat, with fatty side up, in the middle and bring the foil up and around, folding it down but leaving a tent. Then bring the ends up and around, fold down leaving space
- Use a pan, with sides, large enough to fit a rack. Place the foiled brisket on top of the rack. Put in oven and bake for 7 hours. Use a meat thermometer to check to see if temperature is at 180 degrees.
- Remove after 7 hours and uncover then bake another hour. Remove Brisket and place on a cutting board placed in a cookie sheet with sides to catch juices. Cover meat with foil and let rest for 30 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve.