The joys of travel introduce me to new, wonderful recipes made by friends. This special side that is fabulous with ham is passed down to me from my friend, Karen Clemons. It is a favorite to those I serve! I doubled the original recipe and changed it a bit. This is a double recipe to feed 20 people.
12 Slices of dense bread with crust removed
3 Sticks of Butter (softened)
6 Large Eggs
2 Cups Sugar
3 Teaspoons Vanilla
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 – 20 oz Cans of Crushed Pineapple
1/2 Cup Milk or 1/2 & 1/2
- Stack 6 slices of bread on a cutting board. Remove crust by starting at top and cutting down through all 6 slices on each side. Cut 1 inch cubes. Repeat for other 6 slices. This step can be done ahead and store in the refrigerator in Ziploc bags.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and salt. Beat eggs till fluffy then add vanilla
- Add 2- 20 oz cans of crushed pineapple (including juice) & milk
- Carefully fold in cubed bread
- Spray baking dishes (either 2 – 8 X 8 baking dishes or 1 – 12 X 15 X 2 1/2)
- Spread mixture evenly (an 8 X 8 dish holds 2 Cups)
Bake @ 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours until browned on top.