Barbara Jo’s Sloppy Joes
The photo above is a crock pot with 8 lbs of ground beef that will serve 25 people.
1 lb Ground Beef
1 Can of Chicken Gumbo
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup of C & H Light Brown Sugar
2 TBLS Worcestersire
1 Teaspoon Yellow Mustard
Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder to taste
- Fill the bottom of a skillet with water and bring to bubbling on medium heat. (The hot water breaks down the fats and helps hamburger cook up fine, using a fork. If you add the hamburger to a skillet that is too hot it cooks too fast, making the cooked hamburger too chunky)
- Add chunks of ground beef into the hot water and begin mashing with a fork and continue to separate it until brown and very fine. Salt, pepper, and add minced onion or onion powder to your taste.
- When the meat is all browned add the Chicken Gumbo Soup, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, & Worcestershire and mix well and simmer for 15 minutes
- Drain in a colander in the sink with a disposal
- Spoon into a hamburger bun. I like to add more mustard on mine. Some like to add chili powder or more ketchup or BBQ sauce