Barbara Jo’s Sloppy Joes
The photo above is a crock pot with 8 lbs of ground beef that will serve 25 people.
1 lb Ground Beef
1 Can of Chicken Gumbo
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup of C & H Light Brown Sugar
2 TBLS Worcestersire
1 Teaspoon Yellow Mustard
Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder to taste
- Fill the bottom of a skillet with water and bring to bubbling on medium heat. (The hot water breaks down the fats and helps hamburger cook up fine, using a fork. If you add the hamburger to a skillet that is too hot it cooks too fast, making the cooked hamburger too chunky)
- Add chunks of ground beef into the hot water and begin mashing with a fork and continue to separate it until brown and very fine. Salt, pepper, and add minced onion or onion powder to your taste.
- When the meat is all browned add the Chicken Gumbo Soup, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, & Worcestershire and mix well and simmer for 15 minutes
- Drain in a colander in the sink with a disposal
- Spoon into a hamburger bun. I like to add more mustard on mine. Some like to add chili powder or more ketchup or BBQ sauce
How high do you fill the pan with water?
Fill the skillet with 1/2 inch of water. After browning the meat you will drain all liquid.