Dutch Oven Rump Roast
Make more than enough to have left overs for Beef Stew.
4 Pound Rump Roast; if you prefer, you can use Arm or Chuck Roast
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Salt/Pepper/Minced Onion to your taste
Carrots & Potatoes (enough for two meals to make beef stew with leftovers)
- Fill your Dutch Oven or baking pan in the bottom with EVOO (1/4 inch)
- Turn your burner to medium
- Sprinkle Salt/Pepper in the EVOO
- When oil is hot turn burner to medium-low, before adding your roast; brown on all sides (2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.)
- Add minced onion to the oil and let brown just a bit
- Sprinkle Salt, Pepper, & Minced Onion on top of meat then add 2 cups of water and carrots around the roast; salt carrots then cover pan with lid or tightly with foil and put in a 275 degree oven
- Bake for 2 hours then add washed, cut red potatoes & salt, then cover again
- Bake for another 2 hours then sit pan on top of the oven and let rest for an hour or leave in the oven after turning it off.
- Then use a slotted spoon to put the carrots and potatoes in a serving dish. Use a meat fork to set on a plate to be ready to slice. Keep all covered with foil, until serving.
- The juices make wonderful gravy. Mix 2 parts water; 1 part flour into something you can shake up. Bring the juices to a boil and gradually add the flour/water mixture while stirring until gravy is thickened. Turn temperature and let simmer for 5 minutes. (I like using a strainer with a handle to sit across the top of the pan to pour the flour water mixture through so it catches the lumps…..at the same time stirring the juices…..it makes very smooth gravy that way) Otherwise, you might want to use a strainer when pouring the gravy from the pan into a serving dish.
- Link for instructions to make Beef Stew from leftovers!